The final phase of the 15th European Soccer championship of the UEFA will take place in France this year from June 10th to July 10th 2016. 24 qualified teams will compete in 51 games in total in 10 different stadium throughout France: Saint-Denis, Lille, Lens, Paris, Saint Etienne, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Marseille, Nice and of course… LYON ! It’s the third time that France is hosting the European Soccer Championship which is a record since Belgium and Italy are the only two countries that have hosted the competition more than once. France has organized the first edition in 1960 then in 1984. Being the host country this year, it is automatically qualified to play in the championship.
EURO 2016 in LYON:
The European soccer championship of the UEFA will be the perfect occasion for everyone to discover the new stadium in Lyon inaugurated in January 2016. It is located in Décines (about 35 min away from the city center of Lyon) and can host 59 000 people.The following games will take place in Lyon :
- Belgium – Italy June 13th
- Ukraine – North Ireland June 16th
- Roumania – Albania June 19th
- Portugal – Hungary June 22nd
- 1 round of sixteen June 26th
- 1 semi final July 6th
For the 2016 edition of the EURO championship, Lyon has organized all sorts of events/activities around the competition : The Fan Zone, which will be set on the Bellecour Square in the city center, will be divided in 2 distinct 11 000 m2 zones each. They’ll give supporters the opportunity to watch games live on two giant screens throughout all of the competition and enjoy many fun activities, games and catering services. 20 000 spectators are potentially expected every game day during the whole competition. The Fan Zone will be divided the following way :
- East side: the “Pure Fan” zone, next to the giant screen : opens 1.5 hours before the kick offs of the games, closes 1 hour after the final whistle
- West side: Catering and relaxing zone “eat&play” : open from midday to midnight every game day (23 days in total between june 10th and july 10th)
- “The Village” which has a welcome desk for VIPs, hospitality stands, a media center, “fan Embassy spaces” and general information for the public.
Please note that Metro line A and D from Bellecour will work as usual however the underground parking in Bellecour will be closed.
To get to the stadium :
- From Bellecour, Perrache or Hotel de Ville : Métro A direction Vaulx en Velin La soie, descendre à Vaulx-En Velin puis T3 Décines Grand Large ou navette Vaulx-en-Velin – Stadium Shuttle
- From Part dieu : Tram T3 to Décines Grand Large then walk 700m or shuttle from Part Dieu train station – Stadium Shuttle
- From the airport : Rhône express to Meyzieu Z.I. then tram T3 to Décines Grand Large then walk 700m. Other option : 10 min taxi ride (about 20 euros).
Of course, you’ll be able to watch every game in many bars/pubs in Lyon but also at the Slo Living Hostel!
For more details on the 2016 EURO championship: UEFA EURO 2016
Enjoy Euro 2016 !